7800 York Road & Glen Garage (1962)
Built to house the corporate office of the Maryland branch of Blue Cross Blue Shield, the University began leasing space in this building in the late 1980s, and ultimately purchased it in 1997. It houses the Career Center and the Computer Science and Mathematics departments.
Administration Building (1957)
In 1995, Towson acquired the Administration Building. Prior to this purchase, the Administration offices had been in Stephens Hall, and then Enrollment Services. The new building houses many University administrative departments like the Human Resources office, the Development Office, the President's Office, and Procurement, as well as various meeting and conference spaces. It also offers a dining area.
Albert S. Cook Library (1969)
The original library, now the Media Center, was constructed in 1957. The current library was built in 1969. Both were named after Albert S. Cook, the Superintendent of Schools when Towson became the Maryland State Teachers College. The current library provides space for individual and group study, computer workstations, classroom space, and a coffee shop, as well as traditional library collections and the University Archives. It also houses the Office of Technology Services, Student Computer Services, the Academic Achievement Center, and the Office of Academic Innovation.
Athenaeum at Franklin and Charles (1872-1875, razed 1908)
The normal and model schools and the State Superintendent of Education offices rented instruction and office space at a social club, later known as the Athenaeum Club at Franklin and Charles Streets.
Auburn House (1790)
Built in 1790, and acquired by the university in 1971, Auburn House was first listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Auburn was associated with the Ridgelys and Turnbulls, both prominent Baltimore County families. It is home to athletic offices, and perhaps even a ghost named Martha.
Barton House (2011)
Named after teacher, nurse, and one of the founders of the Red Cross, Clara Barton, this residence hall houses over 300 students. This residence hall is conveniently located near the new West Village Commons.
Burdick Hall (1968)
Burdick Hall is named after Dr. William H. Burdick, faculty member of Towson's Physical Education department from 1919-1925, one of the founders of the American Academy of Physical Education, and director of the Playground Athletic League (PAL) of Maryland. Dr. Burdick later became the Supervisor of Physical Education for the State Department of Education as well as continuing to head PAL. The Hall has undergone major renovations in 1996, 2002, and 2015. It houses Campus Recreation Services and space for the College of Health Professions. It also boasts a fitness center, climbing wall, swimming pool.
Campus Gateway (2012)
Marked by brick pillars and a large open plaza, the gateway at Towsontown Boulevard near Burdick Hall serves as the main entrance route to campus.
Carrollton Building (1876-1915, razed 1975)
On February 29, 1876, classes began at the unfinished new building at Carrollton and Lafayette Avenues. Costing $100,000, the new facility had 10 classrooms, a reception room, a State Board of Education office, and cloak and "retiring" rooms. The space did not offer dormitory space and was soon too crowded as enrollment at the MSNS grew throughout the end of the 19th and early 20th century.
Center for the Arts (1973)
This building houses the Art, Theater, Dance, and Music departments, as well as a music recital hall, art galleries, studio and main theaters, dance studios, the Asian Arts & Culture Center gallery, and the box office. In 2005, a major renovation increased the space to over 300,000 square feet.
Child Care Center (2007)
In 2007, Towson opened the doors to its new Child Care Center. The center provides daycare and pre-kindergarten education to children, and offers practical teaching experience to Towson students.
College of Liberal Arts (2009)
Begun in 2007, the first new academic building constructed on campus in thirty years, the College of Liberal Arts houses ten departments and six centers and institutes. It holds a variety of classroom sizes, office spaces, and study spaces, all supported with modern technology. It is also LEED certified, demonstrating Towson University's commitment to environmentally conscious design.
The Cottage (circa 1857-1964, razed 1964)
Originally named Waveland, this house was originally a summer home owned by various families, including Richard Gittings, State's Attorney for Baltimore County. It was acquired by the State as part of the land purchased for the construction for the Normal School campus at Towson and was one of the structures on campus when the school opened in 1915. The Cottage was primarily used as a residence for campus faculty and staff, and briefly as a men's dormitory in 1939/1940. The health center also moved here from Newell Hall in 1954. The house was razed in the early 1960's in order to make room for a new science building, now known as Smith Hall.
Douglass House (2011)
Named after abolitionist, Frederick Douglass, this residence hall houses over 300 students. This residence hall is conveniently located near the new West Village Commons.
Dowell Health Center (1963)
Dr. Anita Dowell's career with the school began when she was hired as an instructor for the Maryland State Normal School in Baltimore in 1913. During the next 40 years she served as the chair of the Health Education Department and as the administrative assistant to 3 presidents. From 1950 to 1953, Anita Dowell was the Dean of the College. In January, 1963, the University's health center was named for this internationally known health educator. With the construction of the new Ward and West Health and Counseling Centers, Dowell Health Center is slated for demolition.
Enrollment Services (1972)
This building was originally designed to house the school's administrative offices which had been housed in Stephenson Hall since its construction in 1915. It now holds the offices of University Admissions, Financial Aid, as well as the Bursar's and Registrar's offices.
General Services Building (1970)
Housing the warehouse operations, Facilities, and Materiel Management offices, this building is just off Towsontown Boulevard across from the main campus.
Glen Esk (1905)
Part of the original farmland bought by the school in 1912, Glen Esk was constructed for the Nelligan family. Its original purpose on campus was to serve as the home for the head of the school, and it was also the site where formal campus entertaining took place. The presidents of the school held many teas and receptions at the home. In 1970, Dr. Fisher, father of four, thought it wise to move his family off-campus. The Counseling Center used the house from the 1970s until 2014.
Glen Complex (1983)
The four high rises that make up the Glen Towers each house about 400 students. Also in the complex is Glen Marketplace, an all-you-care-to-eat dining facility. The complex is named after the tract of land that lies alongside it, which in the late 1930s was developed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project to create a preserve for foliage and a bird sanctuary.
Hawkins Hall (1977)
Hawkins Hall is part of a complex which also contains the Lecture Hall Building and the Psychology Building. It was named after Earle Taylor Hawkins, the eighth President of the school who oversaw the transition from a teachers college to a liberal arts institution. During his 22-year tenure, enrollment climbed from 600 to 8000 students. The hall houses the Education Department. It was renovated in 2010.
Johnny Unitas Stadium (1977)
Named Minnegan Stadium in 1977 after long-time coach, Donald "Doc" Minnegan, the facility was re-christened Johnny Unitas Stadium in October 2003 to honor the former Baltimore Colts quarterback. The stadium is home to Tiger football, lacrosse, soccer and track and field teams and accommodates 11,000 spectators. The playing field is lighted for night competition and is surrounded by a 440-yard all-weather outdoor track.
Lecture Hall (1977)
The only dedicated lecture building on Towson's campus, the Lecture Hall is part of a complex which contains Hawkins Hall and the Psychology Building, all built in 1977. It also currently houses the Academic Advising Center. The hall itself has a large lecture space and seminar rooms, and about 250 seats.
Lida Lee Tall School (1960 - 2007, Razed 2007)
Constructed in 1960, this building was home to the campus elementary school from 1960 until 1991. Named after Towson's 6th principal, and 1st president and nationally known educator, Lida Lee Tall, it was used not only as a place to teach children, but as a laboratory school where student teachers learned how to teach. In 1991, it became the campus childcare center, and remained so until its demolition in 2007 to make way for the new College of Liberal Arts Building.
Linthicum Hall (1968)
Named in 1968 after J. Charles Linthicum, a United States Congressman from 1911-1932, and member of the Class of 1886. Linthicum was the chair of the Building Commission that oversaw the site selection and construction of the Towson campus, and was also instrumental in adopting the "Star Spangled Banner" as our national anthem. Linthicum Hall housed the College of Liberal Arts until 2009. It now serves as temporary office and classroom space.
Media Center (1957)
Originally constructed to serve as the first Albert S. Cook Library, the Media Center found new purpose in 1969 as home to the growing field of electronic media. This building now houses smart classrooms, labs, and radio and television studios as well as the Electronic Media and Film and Mass Communication and Communication Studies departments.
Millennium Hall (2000)
This residence hall was Towson University's first privatized residence hall. It is home to over 400 students and features apartment style living accommodations.
Minnegan Stadium - see Johnny Unitas Stadium
Newell Hall (1914)
The first residence and dining halls on campus constructed in 1914 and one of three original buildings on campus, Newell Hall is named after the Maryland State Normal School's first Principal, McFadden Alexander Newell This hall currently accommodates 212 students, and is the on-campus residence for Honors College students. It was renovated in 2012.
Newell Dining Hall (1914)
This dining facility offers all you care to eat options on the second floor, and an a la carte service on the first floor in the Den.
Paca House (2008)
This residence hall houses over 300 students and is one of the structures that makes up the Glen Complex. It is named after William Paca, Maryland Delegate for the Continental Congress from 1774 until 1779, and Maryland's third governor, serving from 1782 until 1785.
Power Plant (1914)
One of the original three buildings on campus, the Power Plant was constructed in 1914. From 1920 until about 1950 when there was little housing on campus for men, male students often bunked in the top of the building in what was called "The Barracks". It underwent a major renovation in 1988, and a further expansion in 2009, adjusting to the growth in student population.
Prettyman Hall (1957)
Named after Elijah Barrett Prettyman, second Maryland State Normal School Principal, Prettyman Hall was built as a residence hall in 1957. It now holds space for 160 students.
Psychology Building (1977)
The Psychology Building is part of a complex which also contains Hawkins Hall and the Lecture Hall Building. It houses the Psychology Department, various laboratories, and has an auditorium. It was renovated in 2010.
Public Safety Building (2013)
The two-story Public Safety Building contains administrative and support space for Towson University's Office of Public Safety, which includes the Police Department and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. The 25,000 square foot building is located east of General Services and is accessible via an access road from Towsontown Boulevard.
Red Men's Hall (1866-1872, razed circa 1980s)
When the Maryland State Normal School opened on January 15, 1866, it rented space in Red Men's Hall at 24 North Paca Street in Baltimore. The 11 students who enrolled the first day were taught by four faculty members. Classes were held in one large hall measuring 70 by 28 feet.
Residence Tower (1972)
The Residence Tower was the first high rise dormitory on campus, as well as the first that was designed for co-educational living. It currently houses about 400 students, including those involved in the Global Village program, a residence plan for international and American students designed to inspire understanding among a diverse population.
Richmond Hall (1923)
Richmond Hall was the second residence hall on campus. It was named after Sarah Richmond, who graduated with the first Maryland State Normal School class in 1866, became a teacher at MSNS, and was its fourth Principal. Richmond was the driving force in moving the school from Baltimore to Towson. The hall houses about 100 students and the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Scholars program is also located here.
Scarborough Hall (1964)
Scarborough Hall is dedicated to Mary Hudson Scarborough, a member of the Class of 1891. She was Principal of the Model School, then a math teacher at MSNS, and heavily involved with the Alumni Association. This residence hall has space for 160 students.
Schuerholz Baseball Complex (2001)
While Towson's baseball field has been in place since the 1960s, it wasn't until 2001 that it gained permanent seating, restrooms, and space for concessions and press. That was thanks to the generosity of Class of 1962 alum, John Schuerholz, who is one of the most successful general managers in Major League Baseball.
SECU Arena (2013)
SECUR Arena at Towson University is the new 5,200-seat venue for athletics, sporting events, concerts, commencements and more. Four Tiger athletics teams compete in the 117,000-square-foot facility, including menâ€™s and women's basketball, volleyball, and gymnastics. It was awarded LEED Gold certification for energy yes, lighting, water and material use, in addition to a variety of other sustainable features.
Smith Hall (1965)
Smith Hall is home to the Jesse and Mildred Fisher College of Science and Mathematics. It is named for George LaTour Smith, who served on the faculty of the Maryland State Normal School from 1875 until his tragic death in a railroad accident in 1892. The five-story building contains modern laboratory facilities, including a digital planetarium, an observatory, and greenhouses.
Stephens Annex (1986)
This 10,000-square-foot building houses offices for the Department of Mass Communication and Communication Studies and the campus ROTC center.
Stephens Hall (1915)
The first academic and administrative building on campus, Stephens was built in 1914 and named after M. Bates Stephens, State Superintendent of Education when the school moved to Towson. Stephens is home to the College of Business and Economics, and the Departments of Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing and Management, Mathematics, as well as the Honors College. Stephens contains a theatre which hosts theatrical, musical and dance performances during the year.
Tiger Softball Stadium (2015)
The softball field was updated to include restrooms, a concession stand, a press box, and upgraded spectator seating to facilitate compliance with Title IX regulations. The newly updated stadium features improved ADA and medical emergency access, a digital scoreboard, and improvements to the field itself.
Towson Center (1977)
The 5,000-seat Towson Center arena hosts basketball, gymnastics, and volleyball events, and contains a wealth of athletic centers, locker rooms, class rooms, weight rooms, and handball courts. The Towson Center is used for the Universityâ€™s commencement activities and also hosts outside events like concerts and graduation exercises. It also houses the College of Health Professions classes as well as some Athletics offices.
Towson Run Apartments (1989)
This residence hall offers apartment style living for upper-class students who are eligible to live on campus. It has space for about 400 and is managed by the University.
Towsontown Garage (1989)
Originally called the Burdick Garage, this parking facility was designed for 1,100 spaces, this garage was updated and expanded in 2008. 500 more spaces were added and the Towson Run stream was restored.
TU in Northeastern MD (2014)
Towson University constructed a 60,000-square foot building on the campus of Harford Community College to support the TU in the Northeastern Maryland (TUNE) program, which improves access to baccalaureate degree programs for students in the region. The building provides academic and support space to seamlessly transition students from two- to four-year programs.
TU Marriott Conference Hotel (1989)
Originally constructed as housing for the elderly, Towson acquired what was then known as Burkshire of Towson in 1991 for additional student housing. Two years later, the Marriott Corporation agreed to run the building and promote it as a venue for educational conferences. Besides offering 137 suites for lodging, the hotel has 17 conference rooms and two restaurants, including the University Club.
Tubman House (2008)
Named after the famous former slave, abolitionist, and guide on the Underground Railroad, this residence hall was completed in 2008 and houses over 300 students. It is one of the structures that make up the West Village Complex.
University Union (1972)
The Union is home to many campus services such as the post office, a bank and ATMs, and a ticket office, as well as dining areas, and offices for student activities. It also holds large conference and meeting rooms. Paws, a dining area, can also host music or other events with its large stage area, which was formally a bowling alley.
University Union Garage (1984)
The first parking garage built on campus, it was originally constructed as a 700-space facility. Additional office space for Parking and Transportation Services was added in 2006.
Van Bokkelen Hall (1933)
Named in honor of Dr. Libertus Van Bokkelen, the State Superintendent of Public Instruction from 1865 to 1868, Van Bokkelen Hall houses the Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic and departments of Communication Sciences and Disorders. The building was originally the Campus Elementary school until 1960.
Ward and West Halls (1951)
These residence halls were named after George W. Ward and Henry S. West, Principals of the Maryland State Normal School. They were the first dormitories built specifically to house men on campus. In 2015, the buildings were connected and updated to create the Health and Counseling Centers at Ward and West.
Wiedefeld Gymnasium (1942-1968)
This gymnasium was named after the seventh head of the school, M. Theresa Wiedefeld. Dr. Wiedefeld led the school through a difficult time during World War II when the student population dwindled and even the supplies needed to run the school were difficult to obtain. A graduate herself of the Class of 1904, Wiedefeld was a staunch advocate for alumni and veteran students and continued her work with these groups as a member of the Alumni Association. In 1968, with the construction of Burdick Hall, Wiedefeld Gymnasium was demolished to make more space for a larger library.
Images courtesy of Towson University Archives and Towson University Photographic Services